Thursday, January 16, 2014

What a Difference a Year Can Make...

So tonight while I was running on the treadmill, I thought to myself, "what ever happened to that blog I was writing?"  Life happened.  We all get caught up in the day to day of our lives that we sometimes forget to keep up with the things we say we are going to do.  So I decided tonight, while logging my miles, that I AM going to keep up with this!  Writing is cathartic and sharing my story might be inspiring (I suppose only if I have followers!!) but it makes me feel happy to share my story.

As you can see from my previous two posts, from 2013 and 2012, I've had my share of ups and downs the past few years.  Since I started a healthier lifestyle, which includes running and eating well, I've been able to shed some weight (55 lbs to be exact) and I'm proud to say that I've become a runner!  the exciting thing about that is that I HATED, that's right, HATED running my entire life. I decided in February of 2012 that I was going to do the Couch to 5K program and finally take control of my life and loose the extra weight I carried around with me.  I finished the program and ran a 5k race in May.  So great, I set a goal and reached it.  But I wasn't done.  From there I decided to push myself and train for a half marathon.  I googled "how to train for a half marathon" and found a bunch of beginner plans.  I settled on one that I thought I could handle and started out.  I ran the Finish at the 50 10k race at Gillette Stadium in July and then I met a boy.  He was a runner and we decided to run a 10-mile road race together at the end of the July.  The most I'd ever run was 7 miles and I was having a serious bout of asthma that week.  I promised myself if I ran the first 8 miles, I could walk the last two.  I ran the ENTIRE 10 MILES!!  I was so proud of myself... and I impressed the boy!  Well that relationship abruptly came to an end and I threw myself into my running.  I signed up for the United Healthcare Half Marathon in Newport, RI and it all became real.  I WAS ACTUALLY DOING THIS!  I WAS GOING TO RUN A HALF MARATHON!!  Who would have thought??

I finished the half marathon and couldn't believe how proud I was of myself.  I pushed myself and realized that I really could do anything I set my mind to.  So, what's next?  A FULL MARATHON!!!  I saw a bumper sticker for a half marathon that said "13.1 because I'm only half crazy."  That made me laugh because the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I'd be crazy not to keep going and keep challenging myself!  So I will be running my very first full marathon in May 2014.  I signed up for the Cox Providence, RI Marathon.  The race is 106 days from today and I thought this blog would be a great way for me to chronicle that journey as well as my continued weight loss journey. 

Thanks for joining me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment